The Counseling Center offers personal counseling as well as some educational and career counseling related to obstacles to learning. The Center does not offer academic advisement, but Center personnel can refer students to Academic Advisement. The Counseling Center is located at 75 Piedmont Ave, N.E. Suite 200A, 404-413-1640.
Faculty and staff who want counseling services for themselves can contact Faculty and Staff Assistance (FASA, 404-413-3345) for short-term counseling and/or referral. The Counseling Center offers consultation to faculty and staff regarding assisting students who are struggling.
Typical violations include plagiarism, cheating on examinations, and unauthorized collaboration. As soon as possible after an alleged incident, in a manner that protects the student’s rights of confidentiality, the faculty member should discuss the matter with the student. If the faculty member believes that academic dishonesty has occurred, the faculty member (with the advice of the chair if necessary) will determine the appropriate academic penalty. The faculty member will complete a notice of dishonesty form and indicate the academic penalty imposed. Any recommendation for a disciplinary penalty (i.e. suspension, or expulsion) must be reviewed in consultation with the chair. The faculty member will deliver to the student the notice of academic dishonesty which includes a statement of appeal rights. More information on the Policy on Academic Honesty, a section of the Student Code of Conduct, may be obtained online at Dean of Students or by contacting the Office of the Dean of Students at 404-413-1515.
For life threatening medical emergencies, please dial 9-911 (from on-campus phones) for an ambulance and then call the Georgia State University Police for assistance, at 404-413-2100. The police can stay with you until the ambulance arrives and can help to direct the ambulance to your location.
Services in the Health Clinic are provided for currently enrolled students only.
Students are encouraged to register with University Career Services and participate in the Internship Program. For more information, contact Angela Walker, 404-413-1836, University Career Services.
Vehicles are available through the Office of the Dean of Students (Student Involvement) for use by chartered student organizations for official student organization business only. For more information, see https://orgsync.com/22540/files/510598/show, email studentorganizations@gsu.edu, or call 404-413-1580.
Faculty and staff may purchase a membership (payroll deduction is available). Consult the Recreation Center for information related to fees, policies, lockers, etc.
Talk with the student about what you have observed. Don’t ask them if they have a disability, rather allow them to disclose any pertinent information. If needed, refer them to Margaret A. Staton Office of Disability Services, located in suite 230 of the Student Center, 404-413-1560 or the Counseling Center, 106 Courtland Street, 404-413-1820.
If a student is registered with the Office of Disability Services, they should have a letter from the Office outlining their classroom accommodations. If not, they should be referred to the Office of Disability Services. Always call 404-413-1560 if you have any questions.
Visit the departmental websites listed under popular sites and popular links on the left hand side of our web sites.
vimeo youtube apple