The first step of the migration of our websites into the new university WordPress template is complete. The next step is to enhance the web presence of our units to meet the needs of our audience. Our office will continue helping you to enhance your web presence in a variety of ways. We offer consulting, individual and walk-in training, monthly meetings, and a wealth of experience to ensure all of the necessary tools are available.
One of the most important aspects of maintaining a successful web presence is the editing process. Statistically, the reputation of a site may be lost in only three rounds of poor editing. It is extremely important for the editor in each department to complete requested changes, as well as reviewing each site regularly for errors and enhancement opportunities. Editing for errors is the first step to success! The most commons errors are the following:
- All headings are bold without any additional formatting tags such as heading tags (h1-h5).
- Bold words for emphasis, do not capitalize.
- Headings and paragraphs are separated by one return.
- Paragraphs are separated by two returns.
- Georgia State University is a downcase university where only proper nouns and names are capitalized.
Phone Number Formatting
- All phone numbers are separated using hyphens in order to create working hyperlinks on smart phones (404-413-1510).
- Use lowercase p.m. and a.m. with a space between the number and the letters
- Noon is accepted, capitalize if it is the first number, lowercase if it is the second, there is no such time as 12 noon.
- The university does not use zeros to represent whole hours (6 p.m. instead of 6:00p.m.).
- To represent a span of time from a.m. to a.m. or p.m. to p.m. only the second a.m. or p.m. are listed (6 – 8 p.m., not 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.).
- To represent a span of time from a.m. to p.m., both a.m. and p.m. must be listed (10 a.m. – 6 p.m.).
- Spell out the name of the month when using it alone or with a year alone.
- When using a month and a year, do not separate with commas.
- When a phrase is used with a month, date, and year, set both the date and year off with commas.
- Do not use suffixes with dates(Correct: May 12, 2014; Incorrect: May 12th, 2014).
- When referencing a span of years, use a hyphen and drop the first two numbers of the second year.
- Do not use the word “on” before a date or day of the week when its absence would not lead to confusion.
- Links to external websites outside of Georgia State University must open in a new window.
- PDF and Word documents must open in a new window.
- When linking web addresses, do no write the web address out on the site. The web address should only be used in the code, and the link should be the written out name of the site.
- Broken links happen all the time, be sure to spend some time on your site to make sure all the links work.
- Always spell out Georgia State University, do not use GSU.
- When mentioning just the word university, use lowercase.
It is the responsibility of each department to edit their website copy and to adhere to the basic formatting structure above when editing their sites. We recommend checking your site at least once every two weeks. We will be more than happy to set up individual training sessions or meetings with you and your staff if you need any additional help or if you are uncertain about any of the guidelines. Contact Gretchen Cannon with any questions.